Some parents have suggested that rather than just saying ‘If there’s anything I can do, let me know’, it’s more useful to think about what would truly be helpful and do it.
Some great ideas include:
- cooking meals that can be frozen and bringing them to the hospital or home so a healthy meal is always available
- offering to spend time with the child so both parents can go out together and have a break
- doing laundry during hospital stays
- helping with home and garden upkeep while the family are away in hospital
- accompanying parents on clinic days as they can be long and stressful, particularly on days when the child is receiving an anaesthetic.
Do you have something you would like to add to the list? Please share in the comments below.