This information booklet from Cancer Council gives an overview of cancer pain. It also provides some helpful tools to measure and describe pain, as well as some strategies around pain management. Common questions about cancer pain include:
- What is pain?
- Does everyone with cancer have pain?
- What causes cancer pain?
- What types of pain are there?
- What affects pain?
- How is cancer pain treated?
- When can I use pain relief?
- Is palliative care the same as pain management?
- Who helps manage my pain?
“As well as the cause of the pain itself, your emotions, environment and fatigue levels can affect how you feel and react to pain. It’s important for your health care team to understand the way these factors affect you.”