What personal information do we collect?
The personal information we collect about you may include, but is not limited to:
- your name, phone number, age and email address;
- your postcode;
- your role or position in relation to a cancer diagnosis and
- any other personal information that you provide to us either directly or indirectly when using the Website, such as creating a profile or when commenting on a recommendation.
In addition, we will collect personal information relevant to the information needs of the patient and their family and support networks. This includes provision of personal stories from consenting users. We will use this information to personalise and tailor interactions and communications.
We do not hold or collect any payment information.
What sensitive information do we collect?
Sensitive information is a special subset of personal information under the Privacy Act and is subject to more stringent protections than are otherwise afforded to personal information. We may collect your health information, which is a type of sensitive information. For example, we may collect medical information that you make available upon registration or while using our services (including any comments that you may make on the Website). Health information includes information relating to a cancer diagnosis or any medication that you might take.
We may also collect medical information relevant to, but not limited to, the patient’s cancer experience including diagnostic, medication and treatment information, symptoms, as well as emotional wellbeing information that would be specifically collected. We will use this information for the purposes to inform research into better cancer treatment outcomes and may share anonymised information with national and international research organisations.
How do we collect your personal information?
We will collect personal information directly from you wherever it is reasonable and practical to do so. We may collect personal information from you via:
- your use and access of the Website, including during your registration as a user;
- your response to any surveys or marketing materials we send out;
- information and recommendations uploaded to the Website by yourself or by other users; and
- interactions between yourself, other users of the Website, and our staff.
We may also collect your personal information from third parties including:
- other third parties who provide services via the Website;
- via public sources such as social media; and
- your carers, family and friends.
Why do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information for a variety of reasons including those listed below:
- to help us provide recommendations to cancer related resources, which may involve amongst other things, using your personal information to provide, promote and develop the Website’s content;
- to deliver targeted content based on user profiling and location;to assess the performance of the Website and to improve the services we provide;
- to process and respond to a complaint or request you may make; or
- to contact you in relation to our services including Redkite activities and events
Who may we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to various third parties. These third parties may include:
- health service providers, government health bodies and departments;
- our lawyers, accountants and professional advisors; or
- other third party service providers, such as third party mailing service providers; or
- national and international research organisations.
We may also disclose your personal information outside of Australia from time to time:
- to service providers such as salesforce which is located in the UK and Singapore.
While such third parties will often be subject to privacy and confidentiality obligations, you accept that where lawful such obligations may differ from and be less stringent than the requirements of the privacy laws of the jurisdiction of origin. In those cases, we are not responsible for imposing the laws of the jurisdiction of origin, and you may not be able to seek redress under those laws
What if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information we need, some or all of the following may occur:
- you may not be able to use all the features of the Website; and
- we may not be able to provide you with targeted content and relevant information.
Access and correction of personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we handle is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you become aware of any errors in your personal information or, if you change your personal information, please let us know.
If we are unable to, or if we are unwilling to provide you with access to any of your personal information, or to correct any of your personal information, we will provide you with our reasons.
You may also contact our Privacy Officer if you wish to obtain further information regarding our privacy practices and the way we handle your personal information.
For more information regarding privacy you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au
Our website may use ‘cookies’ from time to time. Cookies could be used to collect personal information. A cookie is a small file that is stored on your device by a website. Cookies contain information which is readable by the website that issued the cookie to you and is commonly used to remember your details and preferences when you return to that website. Your web browser can be configured to reject cookies. If you set up your web browser to reject cookies certain functions of our website may become unavailable to you.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 02 9219 4000
Address: PO Box 3220, Redfern, NSW 2016